Attention students, after Feburary 1st, 2021, the Coding Bootcamp Prep course and the Programming 101 will be shut down. After this date, you will no longer be able to access the course material or the website. Thank you for all of your support in the past. It has been a pleasure teaching all of you. If you have questions or would like reocmmendations on how to continue your programming journey, please reach out at [email protected].
Languages per Program
If you attend a full stack dev bootcamp, you're going to learn how to create the frontend and backend of a web application. The frontend handles interacting with the user. For example, right now you're interacting with the frontend of this blog. The backend handles all of the logic that users don’t see, such as logging someone in. Many developers have strong opinions about which languages to use. Below is a breakdown of the languages that some of the top dev bootcamps in the country teach.
||App Academy||Flatiron||Fullstack Academy||Codesmith|
The chart above shows the percentage of job postings for Rails and Node.js. As you can see, both are fairly close in terms of percentage, but Node has gained popularity over the years.
Pros and Cons
Now that we have a benchmark for the demand for each language, let's talk about what makes Rails and Node.js popular.
Ruby on Rails
Rails, often referred to as Ruby on Rails, is a framework used to develop web applications. In 2017, Airbnb, Crunchbase, GitHub, Zendesk, and Soundcloud all used Ruby on Rails. Below are some pros and cons of using Rails.
- Many developer use Rails to quickly develop prototypes.
- Rails' paradigms make it easy to work on new applications.
- Rails has a strong testing culture.
- It can be slow.
- Paradigms that make it easy to switch between applications can be restrictive.
- Code can be shared between the frontend and backend.
- There is a large amount of packages. Packages are code that someone else has written that you use in your applications.
- It's not suited for cpu intensive tasks.
- It's asynchronous nature can make debugging difficult
Which Should I Learn
Want bootcamp information? Sign up for our mailing list.
This article was written as part of the Coding Bootcamp Prep course. The course is dedicated to providing people of all skill levels the knowledge they need to get admitted to the country's top coding bootcamps.